Happiness: Do we find it, or choose it?

Can you remember the first time you felt truly happy?

What did it feel like? 

When I was younger, my happy place was performing on stage. Where I was pretending to be in a make-believe world, forgetting about who I really was, just for a couple of hours. I enjoyed the exhilaration of being vulnerable in front of the audience (as weird as that sounds.)

When I was younger, I had dreamt of being a famous actress, because I thought that was what would make me happy.

But as I got older, I found that those moments of happiness have changed. 

Little things like dipping my feet into the water of the Mississippi River in America; something I'd heard about all my childhood and teenage years, and then suddenly I was there. Or the wind blowing through my hair while I enjoyed a speed boat ride along that same river, soaking up the rays of the sun.


Or seeing Times Square in New York for the first time; which felt like stepping into the movies.

Even in Vietnam, when I was very ill, I somehow climbed not quite 1,000 steps up a temple to get to the top, and stopped in awe at this amazing giant golden Buddha in front of me, and feeling peace wash over me as if the world was congratulating my efforts.


My question is, then, is happiness something that is found, or an emotion that we choose?

I had a rather fleeting moment this morning. I was assisting in a performing arts class in my part time weekend job, for children aged 3-7 years. I suddenly felt like I was back in Vietnam and Thailand, because a lot of the children in that class were of Asian cultures. I relate my travels in Asia to a time where I clearly felt at peace.

However, I wonder how much society has changed since the outbreak of the coronavirus, and how it has affected our abilities to be kind to one another, to have the motivation to do things we like doing (and what we don't like doing) and inspiring others to find that motivation.

Or how much it has affected our social lives.

I have done a little research, though.

The Oxford definition of happiness is - 

The state of pleasurable contentment of mind; deep pleasure in or contentment with one's circumstances.



Therefore, if one is not content with their circumstances, we won't be happy within ourselves.

Maybe, then, travelling really does make people happy, and it isn't just a holiday.

I will admit that I cannot relate to the the Oxford definition of happiness 100%...

Yet.

Maybe happiness takes a lot of work for some, and less for others.

So for those who are working on their happiness- go out there and find it. Do whatever it is you need to do that gives you that feeling of deep pleasure or contentment in your circumstances.

Whether that's going for a stroll through your local park,  or going for a nice coffee, or booking an exotic holiday.



Whatever you do- live by your values - no matter what society thinks you should do. 

You are the only one that can define your own happiness.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Life, Back to Normality

Feeling lost in this world? You could be an Old Soul