Being a Traveller...in an age of No Travel


So...

We're stuck in a global pandemic. I've had no work for about 4-5 months,
being thrown into a limbo situation of technically
still under contract, technically unemployed.

I've had a case of itchy feet probably since my
Camp America summer, and the more I've been on instagram,
looking wistfully at other travel blogging pages,
it makes me wish I'd spent more time travelling.
Yes- even more than I have already!

Now that I'm heading towards 28, I feel the time ticking,
the big 3-0 looming.
The big 3-0, and I've not done half of all the travelling I still want to do.

Yet, we now find ourselves in a situation where we can't go anywhere.


BA are giving up with Gatwick, and jobs have been cut
dramatically in the airline industry.

How is tourism going to be once all this is over?

Are we ever going to be able to travel how we did before?

Possibly not, and the thought of this fills me with horror.

Will I get back to Asia again?
Will I be able teach in a classroom again?

My time in Vietnam was cut dramatically short.
I still had another three months on my contract to go-
sadly I had to come home to recover my health.


Since I've been home, I guess I've been kind of grieving
for the time I lost on the year I'd had planned.
It was a bit like having a sentimental item being stolen from you.

After letting myself wallow for a day, I decided, actually,
I've been quite fortunate. I've graduated from university with
no pandemic interruptions- I've done some travelling- not enough,
but it will do for now! - I've had a few months teaching
experience abroad and I've made some amazing friends (hopefully for life)




So for now, I will wistfully scroll through travel blogs and
daydream about my next adventure- who knows when that will be,
but I know I will be ready for take-off when it happens!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Life, Back to Normality

Happiness: Do we find it, or choose it?

Feeling lost in this world? You could be an Old Soul