Feeling lost in this world? You could be an Old Soul

 Okay, so spirituality isn't for everyone.

In fact, not everyone participates in self-care, either. Not properly, anyway.

I don't know about you, and your experiences, but I've always felt different from everybody else- and until recently, I've found it so hard to come up with reasons as to why I've struggled so much in various aspects of my life.

For starters, my health is not the same as everybody else's. As a child and teenager, I was bullied in school (verbally) and all my school reports said the same thing- Rosie needs to put her hand up more in class. I was always the quiet one.

As I developed, I was able to make a few very close friends. However, I have often felt very socially anxious - especially if I'm in a group of people of up to more than four - especially so if they are people of a similar age. You'll often finding me sitting or standing slightly outside of any kind of social circle- even now.

I even transferred universities after the second year of my degree, at the age of 22, as I was, emotionally, not feeling right at all- in all areas of life at the time.

I've had many romantic relationships throughout my twenties. As some of you may know, these have been rather unsuccessful. Some even disastrous.

I've seen my friends from school find their career paths, partners, and buy their first home. At the age of 28, I'm still living at my family home. I have no partner or children; I'm a single woman still finding my way.

In fact- finding my way just about sums it up.

I've recently joined a yoga class as I've been practicing yoga for the last year of lockdowns. I connected individually one night with my yoga teacher, who introduced me to the concept of 'Old Souls' - something I've come across before, but never actually considered.

The main two things that struck me was that social anxiety, and being constantly in search for a place of belonging- were two major factors were on the defining characteristics of Old Souls.

What is it exactly, then, is it that I am looking for?


A career pathway, yes. A wide, meaningful social circle, yes. (Except this is a challenge for us introverts) 

 A partner? possibly. (Perhaps I enjoy my freedom?)

But old souls desire something far greater than other souls. We seem to love very deeply and spend our life searching for that deep, unconditional connection- because of this, romantic relationships are a major struggle. We don't connect with the usual interests of people our own age (for example, I have NEVER been a video gamer, and never plan to be. I don't get it!) 

Since starting my MA, I've decided that intellectuality seems to be something I thoroughly enjoy- another factor old souls appear to value)

I certainly never, until the last year or so, considered myself to be particularly spiritual. But there's something about the concept of Old Souls, that makes me feel as though I understand this strange path in life that I seem to be on. 

A lone ranger. A lone wolf. 

As strange and isolating as this may sound- Old Souls are, perhaps, the best kind of people to have in your life- as you will not find such a loving and caring person as an Old Soul.

Look after them- they are unique! x

 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Life, Back to Normality

Happiness: Do we find it, or choose it?