Back to Life, Back to Normality

 I don't know about you, but I'm not sure if I'm enjoying going 'back to normal'.

Okay, so you might completely disagree with me, but hold on one second.

This pandemic has not only caused millions of unnecessary deaths around the world, but it has also show us- the Western world in particular- how much inequality we are suffering. Whether it's money, jobs, gender, unemployment, Black Lives Matter. 

This pandemic has shown the world what's wrong with it. What's wrong with US as human beings. 

However. 

Since the UK economy has slowly opened back up, and we are getting out and about more, just be wary of those on the autism spectrum, or who consider themselves neuro-diverse.

Since commuting back to my drama school in south London from Hampshire, I've had several nightmare train journeys that make me realise how I really did NOT miss the travelling. The getting up really early, having to remember what to pack and make sure you have everything just for one day out; spending about a quarter of my salary on commuting to work and drama school. The anxiety I feel when a journey becomes stressful. Having to wear a mask all day because this virus has taken away our human right to breathe normally, in case it spreads. 

As awful as these lockdowns have been- not being able to see loved ones; not being able to attend funerals; mental health and the uncertainty of our young people's futures; theatres being closed; only allowed out for daily exercise; constantly worrying about - basically - BREATHING, and just BEING ALIVE. 



As hard as it was being on Zoom, and yes Zoom fatigue is definitely a real thing- there were some small elements of online life that suited my personality and energy, and perhaps it did for others. The fact that I could teach my 6.00am lessons to Chinese children by just throwing on my uniform t-shirt, wearing my pyjama bottoms and rolling into our spare room. Not having to spend hundreds of pounds on commuting. Being able to work at your own space, in your own way. Being able to make a cup of tea in a very short five minute screen break in Zoom meetings. Being able to work on your health- my health - and having the time to it - and this is time we might not ever get back again. 

Now that we are slowly itching into the 'new' normal, everything just seems to be on the GO button, and not the STOP button. At work we can't just go at our own pace- depending on the nature of what we do. We might not be able to make a cup of tea or coffee within just five minutes. We certainly can't spend our time at work practicing yoga or going for a run.

I guess what I'm trying to say is- lockdown made the world stop, and possibly for the first time for a long time- forced us to be in the present.

It is clear that we don't like sitting with the present- look at the current mental health crisis. 

It definitely feels good, for sure, to be working with people again in person- there are A LOT of things that just can't be done online. 

Lockdown was a chance for the whole world to reflect on what needs to change about our politics, societies and communities, and the way we treat each other. 

But now that we are heading back to normality, is anything really going to change? 

If not, then I'm not sure that I want to go back to normal. 

x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness: Do we find it, or choose it?

Feeling lost in this world? You could be an Old Soul