Don't Carry the (Weight) Upon Your Shoulders

As we watch the devastating news on the British gymnastics, it's gotten me thinking about how we treat our own bodies.

I'm not meaning to have a go at anyone at all- it's another topic that seems particularly prominent this day and age.

While I worked as an LSA, I noticed that nearly ALL my colleagues were on diets, going to the gym, or running. Or all of the above. For the entire time I worked with them, I didn't really get it- or at least, I understood to an extent, but is there a point where dieting and weight becomes an excessive worry that none of us need?



Now, you're probably wondering, why on earth is tiny Rosie talking about weight?

Well.

I have one question for you.

Hands up, who feels confident in their own body?

You probably won't believe me, but it's taken me a LONG time to even BEGIN to feel comfortable in my own skin.

I've had lots of compliments about my own height and weight/general body alignment. However, I'm not actually sure I'd call some of them compliments at all.

For example. In the last few years, I've decided that if somebody says to you 'Oh, you're so thin' they think they're paying you a compliment- but in actual fact, I think it's almost the same as saying 'You're so fat'.



Whether petite or not, NOBODY wants to be 'singled out' because of their size. Even if the other person intends it as a compliment.

As a teenager, I developed complicated eating problems. Not an eating disorder, but an issue called oesophagitis- where I get particular food stuck in my throat. One night, when I was about 13 or 14, I was eating a chocolate and whoops, I swallowed a whole hazelnut.

Not just part of the nut, a WHOLE hazelnut.
I had to be hospitalised overnight and put on a drip.

Normally, I'd be able to bring the said stuck item back up, but this time, I couldn't.

Amazingly, the nut went down on its own- like natural causes.

Since then, I've avoided nuts.

This is something I've had to live with. Constantly having to rush my food has been a way of life. Being the last one still eating at meal times is the norm, because I don't want to bring any of it back up.



So what I wanted to point out- the next time you think about commenting on somebody else's weight- think again, because you never know what they've gone through.

If you're somebody who's constantly shaming themselves for their own weight, try and breathe- and most importantly- we need to love who we are as humans, and not worry too much about how we're physically built. (Easier said than done, of course.)

We also need to stop comparing ourselves, because this just makes our personal situations feel worse than they actually are.

You're all beautiful- inside and out. X








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Life, Back to Normality

Happiness: Do we find it, or choose it?

Feeling lost in this world? You could be an Old Soul